Spotlight on Design features video interviews and case studies, focusing on technology breakthroughs, hands-on testimonials, and the importance of fundamentals. Viewers are virtually taken to industry labs and research centers to learn how design engineers solve real-life problems.
These challenges include enhancing product performance, reducing cost, improving quality and safety, while decreasing environmental impact, and achieving regulatory compliance.
In the episode Engine Development for Performance and Efficiency (22:00), engineers from Ricardo and General Motors explain the importance of lessons learned on the race tracks, how using the appropriate design and simulation tools expedite development, and present the new testing frontiers now available with 3D printing.
This episode highlights:
- How the new engine for the Cadillac CT6 was developed, in detail
- How car-racing technologies are brought to mainstream vehicles
- The use of simulation tools to test multiple design scenarios before production
- The importance of working with cross-functional teams
- The need to keep up and really understand new cutting-edge technologies, leading to game-changer products
- Focusing on building a solid architecture for the new engine upfront, and avoiding costly changes in later phases of the development cycle