Spotlight on Design features video interviews and case studies, focusing on technology breakthroughs, hands-on testimonials, and the importance of fundamentals. Viewers are virtually taken to industry labs and research centers to learn how design engineers solve real-life problems.
These challenges include enhancing product performance, reducing cost, improving quality and safety, while decreasing environmental impact, and achieving regulatory compliance.
In the episode Automotive Charging Infrastructure: Vehicle and Grid Integration (21:00), engineers from NextEnergy and an infrastructure expert from General Motors explain how technologies are rapidly converging to power electric vehicles and support the overall electric grid. This episode highlights:
- How the fast expansion of charging infrastructure is changing the way electric and hybrid-electric vehicles are gaining the confidence of consumers.
- The strategic work being developed to expand the presence of charging stations where they are most effective.
- The new models being developed to make the best possible use of batteries once they are no longer suitable for car use.
- The importance of the secondary use of car batteries to power local micro-grids, enabling communities to be more energy independent.
- The need to bring together engineers, grid experts and consumers to establish the best technology and implementation solutions to support a faster adoption of electric cars.